Knowing how to change your smoke detector batteries is a critical part to keeping your home safe. If you hear a chirp or beep coming from your alarm, do not ignore it! This means that it’s time to change the batteries, asap!
How to change your smoke detector batteries:
- Step 1: Get on sturdy ladder, step ladder, or chair. (Note: if it is too high to reach due to a vaulted ceiling or height restriction, please stop what you are doing and place a ticket with ResiPro right away).
- Step 2: Remove the cover from its base using a twisting motion (counterclockwise)
- Step 3: Remove the current battery and replace with a new battery, usually a lithium 9-volt battery. (Note: If the smoke detector is hard-wired, please stop what you are doing and contact ResiPro)
- Step 4: Replace the cover (twist clockwise) and lock the smoke detector back in its base.
- Step 5: Press the test button on the surface of the detector to test the smoke alarm and make sure it’s working properly. When the button is pressed, the detector should beep or chirp.
Test units monthly to ensure they are properly working and replace batteries twice a year. Sync your changes with the time we set our clocks forward for daylight savings time and back to standard time as a good reminder. If you need more assistance, please give us a call at (470) 205-2224 or submit a maintenance request to your resident portal. We’re here to help!